Wanna learn more about me?

Click Here to go to my first blog!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Introduction

Hello,

Welcome to my blog! Let me tell you a little bit about myself before I go on,
My name is Casey Mcphail, but I go by Casey Jones (like the guy from the Ninja Turtles). The nickname was given to me in the third grade after passing out Ninja Turtle Valentines Day cards and from then on it stuck.
I'm 18 years old, and I live in Texas. I just graduated from Crosby High School and I start college September 12.
I am a proud believer in Jesus Christ and I attend church almost every day of the week. My church is Fountain of Faith Fellowship Church which is an Assembly of God Church in Baytown, TX. The website is http://www.thebaytownchurch.com/
The college that I will be attending is Texas Bible Institute(TBI) located in Columbus, TX. Its a two year college and I will be living on campus for the first nine months. Living on campus is something that I would definitely have to get used to.
When I was three months old I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, Cystic Fibrosis is a disease that is passed on when both parents have the defective CF gene. Many people have it and don't even show symptoms of it. Cystic Fibrosis is often described as a lung and digestive disorder that causes mucus to build up in the lungs to a point where your body has to fight everyday to get it out, and that is simply not the case.
My goal is to tell you all about what CF is to me before you "Google it". Something I've learned from one of my CF buddies, Ronnie Sharpe,
(You can follow his story at http://www.runsickboyrun.com/ and to see the email
exchange where I found alot of this out click on This LINK)
When someone googles CF they will get a bunch of facts and statistics that will leave you wandering why I'm still alive...so we won't go there! I'll tell you one thing right now, with the right attitude and support you will go a long way and me as well as many other "CFers" will tell you, Statistics do not apply to me!
The doctors described CF like this;
The CF gene is actually backwards, Instead of having two genes, one that produces mucus and one that gets rid of it, you have two genes that produce it. So in turn you have to do things to get rid of it yourself. Some examples of this include:
  • Breathing Treatments
  • Pills
  • Exercise
  • Chest Physical Therapy
  • Vest
  • Hand Clap
  • Pep
  • Flutter
  • Huff Cough
CF also effects the digestive system. The pancreas is responsible for producing pancreatic enzymes which are necessary to deliver nutrients to the blood stream, giving healthy nutrition to the body. This often poses a problem when mucus builds up in the pancreas blocking, or in some cases, completely stops enzyme production. Things us CFers can do to help treat this are:
  • Take enzymes provided by the doctor EVERY time we eat!
  • Cough up and SPIT OUT(do not swallow) mucus as much as possible.
I've lived my whole life on the upper hand of Cystic Fibrosis(for the most part). And I know that God has always been there for me and for my family through the good and the bad, (thanks to him more good than bad). I have had many hospital stays, about 3-4 a year 14-21 days at a time, I have had many surgeries including 2 Imbolization and a Cardio pulmonary infusion this past year, and with all that I still do my treatments and pills everyday.
I never let CF hold me back, or get in the way, or put me down. I'm always the guy who is making everybody laugh when you first walk into a room. I live my life day to day and keep a positive attitude about everything I do.
I created this blog to provide information as well as hope for many CF patients and parents out there so that they can learn and share similar situations CFers will go through, plus its always good to have someone you can talk to who knows what your going through. Feel free to send me a message anytime and I hope to hear from all of you soon!
-Casey Jones

3 comments:

hannah said...

Casey, ...this is great! very informative. i have so much respect for you. you are a huge inspiration!! i believe that through this you will be able to touch SO many lives!! reading this got me a lil teary eyed(yes, i know that doesn't take much!) not out of sadness,but out of joy that you are living your life to the fullest without letting this hold you back at all! most people(me being one of those) don't even have a reason to complain or have an excuse... yet we are held back from fulfilled life. thank you for this! keep it up! love ya!!!

Cassy said...

Yay!! I created an account just so I could be your first follower!! I am so proud of you Casey!! Keep up the great work, and watch God open the doors for you!!

Kellee said...

Hey!!
Im Kellee.
I found your blog through Ronnie and I just wanted to stop in and say HI!!
My husband Michael is a Cfer and I love cf blog/buddies.
Anyway thanks for all the good info on cf and I look forward to following you.
=)

Kellee
http://loveandcf.blogspot.com/